Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"Oh give me a Home...."



I remember singing that song as a child, and never really gave it a second thought. But recently while driving around, taking some photos of the local wildlife, I suddenly had the light turn on. Wyoming? For real? They made a song about this? As it turns out though, I can see the draw that these old cowboys have to their precious homeland. As hard as the upheaval and transition has been for me and my family, I am starting to look around and appreciate what others here truly love. Wyoming definitely has some draw backs; lack of water being one of them. But there is beauty here as well.



We have been going through the process of buying some land. After searching the area thoroughly, and after many prayers, we happened upon a small development about 3 miles outside of town. This is a huge benefit, because Bryan needs to be close to the hospital for call, but we didn't want to be right in the middle of town with horses. It's also close enough to be tied in with city water. BIG relief! No more hauling water! After discussing the location with several reputable farmers, and with county authorities, it seems we have landed on the most fertile ground in the county. We're so relieved, since we're so good at farming! (har har!) We are feeling greatly blessed and watched over. We will be able to grow our garden again, and have ample ground to have pasture for the horses as well. There's also a kick-butt hill on the back of the property that will be awesome for sledding! We were over there the other night, just as the sun was setting. It is absolutely beautiful. We will really enjoy looking out our windows. This was a very big deal for me, because I miss my mountains. We are close to the river, and look out toward the canyon. It is a beautiful area. I'm very grateful we are being watched over.



Our family is adjusting, and over all doing well. As hard as it is living very far from town, (and a Wal-Mart!) we have loved being on the ranch. Our landlords, Jessie and LeRoy, have welcomed us into their lives and their family. They have really taught us what it's like to be ranchers and to enjoy life.



Maranda had the wonderful experience of learning how to brand cattle. It was a fairly stinky project, but she did have fun! Maranda also received her Patriarchal Blessing this past week. What an incredible experience as a mother to hear from our Father in Heaven about this wonderful child he has entrusted to me. I'm continually amazed at my daughter and her abilities. It was a very sacred experience for her. One she needed right now. It was cool.



We celebrated Bryan's 40th birthday on the 8th. (I'm officially married to an old man!) It wasn't the party I had in mind for him a few months ago, but it was a party still - complete with weenie roast, marshmallows, potato salad, an open flame, and a lot of laughs. His work continues to be a challenge for him, but he enjoys it. There has already been an overwhelming amount of positive feedback. How nice to receive confirmation that he was needed here!



Taylor is playing football again (Go #83!). But no matter how old that kid gets, he still won't grow taller!?? He's getting pretty tough, though. He's been learning how to run things here on the ranch, and he loves every minute of it. He's also been asked to play the piano in priesthood. Gotta love the blessings that talents will bring! Quick bragging story about this little stud... As we were reading scriptures the other night, we read through a verse that had never really caught my attention, or Bryan's. However, Taylor stopped right in the middle, and asked quite the profound question. Bryan and I stopped, looked up at each other, and had no idea how to answer him. But more than not being able to answer, I was dumbfounded that my twelve year old son had recognized a detail that both Bryan and I had failed to notice - EVER. Truly an amazing generation that is being raised up. (Am I really the mother to these kids?!)

Stockton's big adventure... no teeth. He's so proud too. He's been enjoying first grade, and has already been put into advanced reading. I'm so glad he enjoys school. He's made a lot of friends, and loves to wander around in the fields exploring. He likes to hang out with LeRoy as well, but he's a little more nervous around the cattle. We find it entertaining to finagle ways of getting him closer! *wink wink*

Brinlee is just in heaven. No other little girl could have her dream home as much as this child does. Oh, to not care about dirt, and to live with all the buddies you love, (all her animals). She sleeps late, plays all day, escapes into the fields in her jammies when I'm not looking... ah, school will be hard for this one!


Over all, we are greatly blessed. We are still very busy, but things are starting to slow down to where we can enjoy where we are at. So many thankful prayers have been offered for so many loved ones that have been supportive through many meltdown moments. Where would I be without dear family and friends that I love?


Now, if I can just find those wild roaming buffalo??????

~"...and the skies are not cloudy all day!"~

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

Finally a post!!! I've been looking for you on IM but nothing and then I finally see that you have updated the blog so I can know what's happening!! We're kinda bummed about the 40th b-day; we were looking forward to partying hard w/you guys but we're glad Bryan had a good time anyway. I know this is a good place for you but I still have a hard time not seeing you or driving by your house and not being able to just stop and say "hi"! Call me or something!! Love you and miss you guys!!

Mimi said...

YAY! Another update! I love love love all the pictures...GREAT ACTION SHOTS on that football game! I cannot tell you how much it meant to Alex for you to call her the other night! After me, you were the first one she had to share with! ;) She loves you, you know!
Sounds like you are getting settled! YAY! I told you it would come together. And I can just see Brinlee loving that place!
Alex said Maranda had been asked to Homecoming quite a few times... lol! Welcome to Wyoming! She is a very pretty girl, so you have to expect it, right!
So, excited she got her Patriarchal Blessing! That is so neat! Oh and way to go on learning to brand! :)
I get how you feel being a mom to these kids... they are so amazing. I am continually amazed by my two and I am not really sure I am worthy of them. WOW!
Oh, and don't say Bryan's OLD...I am almost 43! EGADS! LOL...
Well, chick, I LOVE YOU TONS! Talk to me on MSN!
Oh are those pics of your land? Beautiful!
Give the family squeezes for me!!!!
XOXOXOXO

The Yates Family said...

Sounds like you guys are starting to adjust quite nicely. Yes, Wyoming has some great qualities - luckily most of the bad ones are on the east side of the state. Plus, you are close to those awesome hot springs! Check out the Wind River Mountain Range next summer - it's gorgeous. I am so happy that you guys are being blessed. :) I know we never made it up to Ephraim, but you are oh so much farther away now! Maybe we'll do a Yellowstone/Thermopolis trip next summer?

Unknown said...

Believe it or not this looks like the area I grew up in, just move north 400 miles. Do you remember me telling you I grew up in an area that was/is more desert than Utah. Yep, you found it. A great gift from Santa will be long johns. Seriously. When the winds come ripping off the Rockies you will wish you had them. I miss talking with you. I am glad to see the Lord's work going forward. We should be thankful we have phones, e-mail and even snail mail, so we don't have loose contact.
Love, Val